Friday, March 19, 2010

BYU Chemistry Magic Show

This was such a cool show! During this one hour show BYU students showed kids how different elements (combined) explode, glow-in-the-dark, foam, turn into shiny liquid metal, heat-up, cool-down, morph into different colors continuously, and turn into slime!!! Crystal invited me and the girls to go with her to a science show. It was the perfect kick-off to her Science Days with the kids. I'm not a science buff and found myself wishing I could remember the elements and what they did. I recorded a lot of the different things that they did for us and decided to show the "Glow-in-the-Dark" one (at bottom of post) and Autumn wanted to show how balloons filled with different elements explode brighter and louder than other elements so check her blog soon too.

Autumn, Taylor and Isaac waiting for the show to start.

Cute Joseph and Bizzie (who later were found hiding in coats to get away from the booms, smoke and bright flashes of flames...)

We took the kids to the Wilk. afterwards for ice cream, here they are getting their wiggles out, seeing who can hold their position the longest.

We finally ended up at the duck pond where the kids went nuts! Autumn, Taylor and Isaac went exploring (displacing a couple snuggled up "reading scriptures" together...); Liberty quacked and reached for the ducks that Joseph and Bizzie were "herding" into the pond (successfully taking away all the ducks from another couple who were on a date to feed them...) while Crystal and I watched on with motherly pride at how easily our little ones were able to so thoroughly and joyously create chaos in less than 15 minutes! (Sidenote: I really wished I took a picture of what inspired proper Crystal to break down in giggles...)




Glow-In-The-Dark Coolness...

2 comments:

Wolfe's said...

I am so glad you brought your camera! That was just too much fun! It had all the cool stuff you love about chemistry condensed into one hour instead of many semesters of torture! The kids were adorable. I love family friendly BYU.

Oh,and I think you laughed first didn't you...? I was laughing at the randomness and how sad you looked and how I just wasn't sad. It was funny. (Yet another example of how sweet and amazing you are and I'm not. Ha Ha. Thanks for being my friend!)

Rachel said...

I LOVED this outing with you!!! You are right this same experince outside of BYU would have been more stressful - trying to keep wiggling younger children still, etc. I am so excited for the next outing - Planets?

Yep - I laughed first, and I love being with you because you responded by laughing too instead of primly admonishing my sick sense of humor - It's so fun to find someone who's not afraid to laugh the evil laugh once in awhile:)