Saturday, March 6, 2010

Book Review: The Lightening Thief

This is an entertaining read. Like Harry Potter, this was written for an adolescent audience but adults can become absorbed in it as well. And like Harry Potter it is about a boy who has always been different than his peers, his journey to understanding why he is the way he is, and how his parents are a key to understanding who he is. Isn't that the truth?! (SIDE NOTE: I found myself humming while I read this book, which isn't a norm. for me and reading, and it was the tune to the theme song in Disney's Hercules "I can go the distance," I think we can all relate to the lyrics on a personal level -missing a heavenly home where we are accepted and loved without question, and how life is a quest to return there with honor having faced our mortal existence with heroism. Granted, the movie touched more on this theme than the book did but whenever I read greek mythology my mind turns to this theme automatically.) I saw the movie before I read the book and I'm glad I did. I thought the movie was a good way to introduce you to the characters, story line, and unfamiliar villians. Be prepared though, the book takes a different turn and follows another path than the movie - which I'm okay with, it's a good movie in and of itself while the book provided me with the detail I crave. WARNING: it's a sequel, but the good news is the next book is already out!

Rachel Rating: 8 of 10 stars
Content Rating: PG-10 (cut limbs, lopped off heads, etc.)

No comments: