Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Best Days…

RF_EverydayQuote I love the blog I found this picture on…

I wanted to get this “Best Day” posted before it drifted too far from my memory. With the crocus and daffodils blooming it seems surreal that not so long ago we were doing this snow trip! But just a few weeks ago I had my best friend by my side and our girls surrounding us, squinting into an icy blue sky…

After hearing a lot of good things about this Utah man’s ice sculptures we decided a trip up to Midway and Heber Valley was a great destination for President’s Day. We got up early to be in Midway by 10am when it opened, signed an agreement not to touch or break anything (a little nerve wreaking with a 23 month old), and walked into an icy fairyland…the girls kept calling them Diamond Castles and loved imagining living in them.

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 040

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 055

This was the only picture of Don. I could tell he was in heaven by the 49 pictures he took of various ice formations. He is a wonderful photographer! Here are a few of my favorites…

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 071

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 068

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 066

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 076

Well after successfully not breaking anything, and avoiding the crowds that came just minutes after we left, we drifted over to “The Barn” which had a large assortment of reasonably priced home decor AND a bathroom! An owl (Bizzie), a horse (Guess), a rabbit figurine (Liberty), an Uncle Sam Iron piggy bank just like the one I grew up with (Rachel), and a slightly lighter wallet later (Guess), we left for the Homestead Crater. I had been here once and thought it was REALLY cool but things are always cooler when you see it through your kids eyes (they didn’t say much which is always a sign of high brain activity… and possibly fear of a volcano coming back too life…)

The water was so warm, it was a little scary letting the girls get close to the edge of the dock because explorers have never been able to find the bottom (probably due to the high temperature as you go further down). Families were swimming around, and a scuba diving class was taking place behind us – all with 2 feet of snow outside!

Sorry for all the videos…some of our trips we forget to take still pictures, this last video of the Crater is kind of neat in how it shows how they burrowed into the side of the Crater to get to the water and the primitive dressing rooms they have set up for the swimmers…

“Oh, lover of frogs…” Grandma, this is for you…

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 090

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 091

We were famished and headed to our favorite burger joint in Heber Valley – Dairy Keen, it is a fun place for kids who love trains, and parents who want to eat while their kids are distracted by the trains…

And as a parting farewell to the valley we stopped and watched skiers topple over in Solider Hollow and took a picture of the wonderful old engines they have in the Heber Creeper Train Yard. It was a beautiful, bright, best day…

Jan-Feb-Mar 2011 095

4 comments:

Don said...

I like trains.

Wolfe's said...

What a beautiful day. I label them "Golden Moment's." Times I store in my memory of Golden, Warm, (emotionally speaking) Beautiful times.

Liz said...

Super fun! I've been swimming in the Crater! I swam while Shaun went suba diving.
My favorite video was the last, it captured more of what your everyday life is with your beautiful family. Can't believe how much Liberty has grown.
Fabulous pictures of the ice by the way, Don.

Aunt Bec said...

I love Rhonna's blog. It is always so uplifting. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I hope that you guys are doing well. Hopefully we will get to catch up soon.