Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Sweet Chaos of Girls

It was a fairly typical frantic morning. I got up and ironed a shirt for Don at 5:30am and sent him off with numerous prayers to help him with the stressful day he had in store and then, thanks to the craziness of this pregnancy, couldn't go back to sleep...

So, I read for an hour and slept for another 45 minutes before jumping out of bed and began running through the house - grateful Autumn was already up and had taken off Liberty's morning diaper in prep for putting on a new one - so while a little naked bum streaked around giddily I found clean clothes for the older kids in baskets I still haven't folded and put away, brushed the hair of moving heads, repeatedly asked Bizzie to put on shoes and socks (please, not in that order!), finally caught the naked bum, diapered it, dressed it and patted it as it took off to run around the house again chattering some word over and over, dressed myself (can't underestimate how important it is to remember to do that - even if you don't plan on getting out of the van while dropping the kids off at school - bad things always happen if you don't...), Grandma Olsen was watching Liberty today so I could help in Bizzie's preschool which meant throwing together a diaper bag (she had to call and remind me to include wipes this time...), at the same time I am agreeing with Autumn who was speaking in a motherly voice, "Liberty is saying so many words now!" Pausing to direct an adoring look at her protege, she then sighs as she sadly continues, "She's growing so fast..." Bizzie chirps in excitedly that the word Liberty has been saying over and over as she ran through the house was her name "BZZ-e, BZZ-e, BZZ-e!"

Only seconds later they were all arguing over toys they should or should not take out into the car, obviously forgetting the fact that it was a moot point since there is a long-standing rule of no toys leaving the house. So as I am grabbing my purse, the diaper bag, my coat, Liberty's coat, and making sure everyone has shoes on I fall back on my favorite two sayings rather than mediate the argument: 1)"If you are not doing something that makes your sister feel loved you are doing the wrong thing." 2) "If you can't say something nice...zip your lips."

It was a mixture of bickering, sisterly love and supreme-o parenting. Yep, a typical morning for the Olsen girls and today... it made me smile.

3 comments:

Becky Jones said...

That's what life's all about!

Wolfe's said...

You wonderful pregnant Mom! It sounds so chaotic and fun. :)

I totally get the dressed for the day comment. Invariably if I think I'm just dropping off my boys or picking them up that's when I'm called in to talk to...whomever. It's always embarrassing when I'm wearing sweatpants, and an ugly shirt.

Liz said...

Oh man, your post actually makes me so jealous that you have 3, THREE! little girls to enjoy while her on earth. I love my Izzy so much that it would be a dream come true to add two more sisters to the family. Love your two sayings for the girls. Totally using them.
by the way, bought the fabric for the quilt block. Already drew out the pattern I'm using for the colors. Super excited to send it to you as soon as I finish.