Thursday, October 6, 2011

Summer is over…Flu season is here

And all I can say is…

Every now and then my snarky side comes out REALLY strong, as I was cleaning up my very sad Liberty who had thrown up in her sleep Rhino kept going off in my head, complete with psycho laugh. So farewell summer…hello flu.

On a more serious note, how cool is it that I can be at home (thanks to my awesome husband) and snuggle up with this precious, sad child?!

Eli Blessing 012

And watch how simple things can bring so much joy when you are sick, here she is when I asked if she wanted to watch her FAVORITE movie, The Last Unicorn, and have an Otter Pop…

Eli Blessing 011

My children are so gifted at getting me to slow down and helping me forget my schedule to enjoy “the moments” even the gross, throw-up ones, so I can snuggle with them, love them, and really be with them…

General Conference is on my mind right now and my mind goes back to one of my favorite talks given by Elder Ballard in the Spring of 2008 called “Daughters of God.” He quoted a woman I didn’t recognize but who I could completely relate with…

Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” (Loud and Clear‍ [2004], 10–11).

Ain’t it the truth?! So bring it on flu season, let it begin!

2 comments:

Liz said...

True that! I'm already crying when I look at my kids sometimes, and realize "you are so big, and I can't even remember when you where litte anymore except through pictures!" (river of tears flowing down my face). So sorry sweet liberty is sick. not fun. Does she still break out in song if you talk to her about unicorns? "i'm the laaaast, i'm the laaaast!!" so glad I was there to hear her say that when I was there this last summer.

Rachel said...

She does!! But now she's progressed to "I'm aliiiive! I'm ali-i-i-i-i-i-ve!" (repeated 20 times at the top of her lungs)! She's almost got the tune of it too:)