Thursday, April 14, 2011

So Many Interesting Things…

General Conference was WONDERFUL! And each of my girls did a fantastic job for their respective ages paying attention. FHE on the topic paid off, I was very proud of them!! (Don and I too – we stayed awake for all 4 sessions!) As I listened to the various topics discussed pertaining to things I was worrying about I was grateful for a Father who is mindful of me. I was humbled by the many obstacles others face and realize how simple mine are in comparison, so when I came across this

HeroineQuote_MelodyRoss_RhonnaFarrer_6weekshapeup

 

It was good food for thought, especially if you are battling a cold, pink eye, pregnancy acne and get lost in thinking you have it pretty bad. Anyway, I wanted to play catch-up and hit on some of our favorite happenings.

#1: Liberty Turns 2!!!!

On March 25th my baby turned two…I hadn’t realized how much she had grown until I took her to the doctor today for her immunization shots and saw how she could no longer fit on the baby scale and had to be weighed like a big girl… We had a lot of fun celebrating her birthday – it was an interesting mixture of Cinderella and Caillou, her favorite things but she loved it!

March 2011 030

This next picture was slightly scary…she had just finished eating Caillou and was very messy and proud of herself. Don and I had contemplated making a pinata of Caillou’s head but (as wonderful as it would be to vent some of our grownup frustration of hearing Caillou so frequently in our house – felt the same way about Barney with Autumn and Einstein Babies with Bizzie) – it still seemed a little morbid to beat up a head…yet, we made a cake with him on it and ate it?! Hmmm…

March 2011 034

#2: Autumn’s 4th Grade “Utah” Program

She did a great job! She had her part memorized and recited it with poise and confidence, “The largest salt lake in the Western Hemisphere, The Great Salt Lake, is what remains of the ancient Lake Bonneville.” I attended the day performances and Don attended the night time one with the camera. He came home proud of Autumn’s performing but chuckling, joking we should put all 11 videos up on the TV and do a chocolate milk drinking game for every time she  fidgeted with her costume! I watched them later and we would have drank A LOT of chocolate milk! She chose to represent her Indian heritage and wore an Indian costume ( a slightly ironic look on a blond, welsh looking girl…) but she had  a lot of fun being with her friends:

March 2011 048

In case you are interested, grab some chocolate milk and watch ONE of Autumn’s “costume fidgeting” clips. When we teased her about it she said that her top had got twisted around and she HAD to fix it! In her defense, I was pretty impressed how she was able to put equal focus into the song and costume fixing!:

And finally, #3: Creative Dancing

I grew up learning and loving the structure of ballet and was looking forward to sharing that with my girls. But I found that I was more than happy to give up that dream when I saw how happy they were creating more free-spirited moves (if you need a memory-jog on some of those moves look at these two posts: BYU Dancing and Breaking Loose at Disneyland – June Post). I was excited when I found a Community Class taught by modern dance instructors at BYU and enrolled the girls in it – they LOVED it! They were allowed to dance the way they wanted while learning body control at the same time. They had  a closing Spring Performance and were excited to show us what they learned.

Bizzie was a fairy in her dance and of course we had to take a picture of her in the proper setting, this smile always make me laugh, it’s her “I-feel-so-pretty” smile:

april 2011 013

Autumn was a retro-dancer in her performance, hence the hip hand poses:

april 2011 017

And Liberty just wanted to join in on the picture taking:

april 2011 018

They did a fantastic job and where it was a community class there were only two performances and our children were in both of them which made for the fun-packed but short recitals we parents love.

Waiting to perform:

april 2011 030

Finished and Proud:

april 2011 032

That catches us up – kind of, we had one more interesting event that happened during General Conference that deserves a post all of its own…be watching for that one – I’ll dub it “The Miracle of Creation” or “The Facts of Life” or “Beware: If You Are Pregnant Don’t Watch This…”

2 comments:

Liz said...

We keep missing the 6am session here in Hawaii. But at least we got the last two hours ok!
Liberty is getting so much older looking. She's not my little baby niece anymore! Its amazing how each of your girls are so different! With Isabel and Ian its so obvious that they are brother and sister, they have the same expressions and say the same things.
Love that you have the girls in dance. Totally would have done both modern and ballet though. I loved doing ballet and jazz. Shaun's not a big fan and will only go as far as gymnastics for the kids. Oh well. I'm working on him.

Wolfe's said...

The girls look so cute in their dance costumes!

And Autumn's Utah Play looked so fun. :) That was the day the boys told me Autumn was dressed like an indian. :) Ha ha

I'm going to look for your other blog you referenced at the end! I missed reading your blog!