Thursday, August 26, 2010

"This is the Place" Park


On their last day in Utah Don and I took the Steveson's to "This is the Place" Park. I had never been and wasn't sure what to expect. I left in even greater awe of the pioneers and wishing I had more time to see everything...on a much cooler day. It was hot! But the kids had a lot of fun doing pioneer chores, listening to bloody stories from the old man in the Bishop's Storehouse, running to catch the train, panning for gold, trading their gold for taffy, riding the ponies, watching their cousins volunteer to be punished by the schoolteacher and a bunch of other stuff I never expected...
Isaac tilling the ground



Autumn trying it too.


Liberty washing clothes.


Joel trying to walk on stilts.


Pioneer gardens.


Bizzie and Jenny


Bill,Isaac, Joel and me.


Schoolhouse.


Isaac being sent to the corner...he had to stand on a stump put his nose to the wall and hold books in the air behind his back until the teacher told him he could get down! And he volunteered!


Emma demonstrating what the teacher would make her wear if she didn't do her homework.


Bizzie riding "Honey."


Ethan being helped down from his wild ride.

Autumn riding "Honey."

This is such a classic summer vacation family shot! If you look closely you'll find one crying child, one sleeping child, two lollipops, 3 frazzled parents, and 10 sunburned faces (minus Joel's, he swears it's his natural coloring...hmmm, denial).
And to all those of you who are still with me and wanting more, here are some video clips:

Dutifully doing chores... and playing.

I added this video because 1) I love capturing proof that our children really are interested in history and 2) I love how they recaptured a pioneer home.

Umm...it would seem whenever animals and kids are in the same vicinity there is inevitably a parent filming it...

This was hilarious (scared Bizzie to death, she was afraid to move in fear the teacher would punish her for something...) but, again, Isaac volunteered!!!

What a fantastic day! Steveson's we miss you guys horribly! Thank you for the memories.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank you Rachel for posting pictures of that
wonderful experience. We all agreed that was one of the dimmest times we had there. Love you sister.

Sarah said...

Not dimmest, funnest! My phone inserted that word without me knowing it! Sneaky phone.