Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Book Review: Saved By Her Enemy

I know everyone has been waiting on *tenterhooks to hear my review of this book...or not... Anyway, I thought the book was an eye-opener, an interesting peek into the mind frames of those who live in the Middle East. For instance, I never could comprehend a people so heartless as to jump up and cheer for the cameras over 9/11 - but the book sheds light on 1) how that could happen, 2) who the Al Qaeda is, and 3) how the Al Qaeda or fear of it affects the citizens of Iraq. I also like how it showed the struggles that freedom can give to someone who has never had it. Previously I thought only of the liberation it brings, but the book shows experiences of how little personal freedom the people of Iraq have... For example, the girl in this book has never been allowed to see or date young men. In Iraq a marriage is arranged (with few exceptions), as a young girl she helps with the home and its responsibilities and then marries and takes care of her husbands home and its responsibilities. Someone is always making the decisions for her. Give this same girl freedom to date whoever she wants and she goes on a date with anyone who asks her - guys at the gas station, at parties, on the Internet...without knowing the dangers... I'm not doing the struggle this girl and her sponsor family faced proper justice. My verdict is, if you are interested in understanding the general mind frame of Iraqis and what the current state of their country is, this is an interesting story to do it with. I'm glad I read it...I feel less ignorant on what's going on in the Middle East and the plights of others...

Rachel Rating: 7 of 10 stars
Content Rating: PG-13 (Discusses the chaos of war)

*Don has an incredible vocabulary, which is so nice for me because it allows me to be lazy - I always have an instant dictionary if I'm unsure of a words meaning or how to spell it! So I was writing this review and was unsure how to spell the word tenterhooks and asked my "dictionary" and he stared back blankly which made me really self-conscious...was it a word? My dictionary has never heard of it!? So I spent valuable energy on asking the Internet and there it was! I was shocked! I felt an insane amount of pride that I actually knew a word Don did not... I gotta take my victories where I can, and this is definitely a victory!!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I am definetly going to read it. I've never been able to grasp what goes on in Iraq and their beliefs. Its seems so ridiculous about what they do in the name of God. So I need to have my eyes opened and brain expanded as well so I'm not kept in ignorance.

I totally get you on the dictionary thing. Shaun is my English teacher as well. I'm constantly coming up with words that'll have him looking at me weird and claiming that that is not an english word. I always prove him wrong! heeheehee!